In stock, Shipping New Xk3y-Reloaded. Its the same thing, just a new motherboard that is a little smaller!
** When comparing prices, please realise that GST is included in the price. Other sellers slap on 10% at checkout! We also give a free opening tool!!, Nothing is added at checkout but your shipping option! Please read below to learn about all the options above. We are registered for GST and are Australian owned and operated, all money stays in Australia. ***
The x360key is an amazing hardware device that allows you to load ISO files on a 360 without the need of any disc. Please read the entire product page to fully understand how the product works.
We have made many videos on the xkey:
Info on the drop down box above:
Free opening Tool:
Do you want an opening Tool for your 360 to help you open the console? If you already have one or know how to open your console without one, then choose No! Otherwise Fat or Slim!
Xk3y Wifi Dongle
- Yes: You will get a Wifi Dongle. You cannot load content over wifi, just choose ISOs though a nice interface. More information is here. Customers will need to set up the device themselves, OzModChips will not provide support as this is an advanced feature.
- No: You will not get the Wifi dongle, and you can choose ISOs via the xk3y screen or the on screen menu.
- No, send it to me I will install myself = We will just send the item to you, you will have to open your 360, get the key from your drive/motherboard, and apply it to the x360key
- Install in Melbourne(Kew) = This option is if you are in Melbourne, and want us to install it for you in store (Kew). There is no need to do this really, just come in and get it done without booking online.
- Postal Install = This option is if you have to post your console into us, and we will post it back to you with the x360key installed. This is for Australia only. The postage for this costs $14.99, which is our cost to ship your console back to you via registered eParcl. We will email you when you can send your 360 down to us! Your device will NOT come with a free opening tool if you are installing the device for you via post.
- Postal Install (RGH needed for new Drive) = The same as above, however this is for drives that cannot have their key extracted from the DVD drive, and need it extacted from the motherboard. Right now this is Liteon 1175, 1532 and Slim Hitachi drives. Once we are done your console is back to original dashboard, the RGH is totally removed, the RGH hack is only used to obtain the DVD drive key from the motherboard. Please note that this service is dependent on what dashboard version you are on! So please read below in the compatibility table to see which versions are compatible.
- Yes, send me the Xk3y remote screen = You will get the Xk3y remote/screen v2!! The newest version with 3 ports! with a USB to Micro USB cable, and AUX cable. This is the complete kit and how the xk3y was originally designed. If you get the screen you can still use the Wifi dongle method, and the TV based menu. It gives the most options and lets you see what is going on all the time.
- No Thanks, I will learn to use without = You will NOT get the Xk3y remote/screen. You must enable the on screen menu or DVD based menu by updating the xk3y via USB. You can now play (if you update your xk3y to 1.23 firmware or higher) multidisc games that require you to change te disc half way through the game using this method. You can read the instructions under MenuISO here. If you change your mind after you purchase the device you can purchase the screen separately. We do not provide support for xk3y installation/config for people that do not buy the screen, as it is simply too hard.
Orders come with!
- x360key and all of it official contents (screen is optional, please choose above)
- Free Xbox opening tool (fat or slim, please choose above...and not valid for installs)!
You also need to get it working
- External Harddrive, to load content off
- A way to put a file on the micro sd card (I.e. micro sd card reader)
- Your firmware file, from your DVD drive <-- important, you need special tools to get this info from your DVD drive. The amount of people that think they can magically do it without tools is too damn high!!!
The x360Key is a new product from the famous Wiikey Team. Famous for the most popular line of Wii modchips, they dominated the market right up until a device called the WODE came out. The WODE has been an extremely successful product because its basically a hardware hack that allows you to run games from a harddrive, instead of your original disc. Instead of the Wiikey team bringing out the same product, they have been concentrating for over a year on doing the exact same thing for the xbox 360, and here it is!
Basically anything you can play via a disc on your console normally, you can now play as an ISO on a hard drive. I.e. 360 games, compatible original xbox games, DVD movies, mixed media discs.
Here is a short video of the device running in normal mode, on screen mode, and on screen picture mode (please note the picture menu is now run from the Music library)
How does it work?
The x360Key is an Xbox 360 drive emulator. What this means, is that when you load a game via the x360key the xbox actually thinks the game is loading via disc. The 360 thinks the drive is ejecting, a disc is being inserted, the tray closes, the disc spins up, and then loads. Of course non of this is actually happening, its all via emulation, and the data is coming directly from your harddrive!
The x360key is based of Linux, just like the WODE was. This means that it is compatible with multiple file systems, but more importantly, is that the feature list can grow and grow and grow. The device works with all "PHAT" xboxs and most slim xboxs, please check the list below for the latest info on compatibility.
From the website:
x360key consists of 2 parts, a motherboard and a remote.
The motherboard connects to the SATA bus inside the Xbox 360, and sits between the drive and the Xbox 360 motherboard. x360key is a full-fledged computer system running embedded Linux. It is capable of many things such as
- Emulating the Xbox 360 DVD drive
- Reading USB hard drives and other USB media with various file systems
- Updating itself and other hardware from USB media
- Communicating with the remote and other external USB devices
- And a lot more! (embedded Web server and Wifi connectivity for example)
The remote is a simple yet stylish piece of hardware that features an OLED display and 3 buttons. It connects to the x360key motherboard via a high speed USB2 connection. It also has USB for connecting USB hard drives and other devices. The OLED and buttons are used to control various aspects of x360key. It is also used for browsing attached USB media devices and launching games.
Q: What if I have custom firmware on my 360, will I need to unmod my console?
A: No, you can leave it as is. The Xk3y actually works without your DVD drive installed. if you have a broken laser, fine!. If your drive is dead, fine! The xk3y has 2 x modes, emulation mode (where you play games from a Harddrive. This will totally ignore the DVD drive, so it doesnt mater what you have done to it). And Passthrough mode, where the xkey will turn off emulation mode, and your 360 will work as normal
Q: Can I play on xbox Live with this?
A: At the moment, it is fine. People are playing online with it, everyday. There is always a risk that Microsoft can change things up and add checks for it. It is agaisnt XBL policies to have a modified system in any way, enforcing the rules is another thing and something they do not seem to do at the moment.
Q: I have never modded my xbox, can I install this thing myself?
A:The installation is easy. We have detailed videos for it. However the most important step for the device to work is configuring it. To emulation the DVD drive the xk3y NEEDs a dump of your DVD drive firmware. The tools to dump your firmware vary from drive to drive. A cheap setup for certain drive can only cost you $10, but almost all drives require more then $100 worth of tools. Unless you plan to modify 5 xboxs it is not worth buying the tools. In Melbourne we are installing the device for $40 only, and via post $55 (the extra $15 is for us to post it back). These prices are CHEAP for the effort required. If you already have had your console modded by us, we are happy to email you your DVD drive firmware if you kindly email us with your console serial number. If your console was not modded by us then you can ask your local modder - but most will not not keep proper records, or will not want to give it to you if you tell them you will not be visting them anymore ;). The prices for installation are ONLY if you buy the device from us, if you buy it from someonce else they will be a little bit more. Some newer models need the key extracted from the motherboard. This is not only needs totally different tools, it also requires great soldering skills, patience and elite modding ninja skillz.
Q: What is the advantage over Custom Firmware?
A: Custom firmware requires constant updating, which is not free if you dont have expensive tools. It requires you to open up your xbox. Xk3y updates are free, anyone can do them as they are just applied via a USB harddrive. Custom firmware now requires a special DVD burner, and also the most expensive discs (about $3 each in AU). With the xk3y there is no burning, you just dump you game on a harddive, no burning needed. Ap2.5 is an annoying security that Microsoft has, they change it up almost every dash board, and custom firmware users need to reburn their DVDs. With the xk3y the firmware handles it all for you. A the worst you would just repatch the games which is free and easy Custom firmware users need to reburn every single game again! And of course....who the hell wants to use discs anymore, USB loading is King! There is no going back once you cross the line!
Q. Is there an installation manual
A: Not official, but there is an unofficial one, and 80% of it was written by us. Link here
Q: I have noticed a lot of spelling mistakes in your listing, what is going on?!
A: Totally, we all failed English at School because we where too busy playing video games.
How do you install it?
The x360key team have done everything they can to make this device ready to install. Its a solderless installation! The problem with xbox 360 drives is that they are locked to the console they are in via a serial number. This means that you cannot just swap DVD drives over without first getting the key out the original drive, and putting it in the replacement drive. So you will need to input for key into the x360key for it to properly emulate the drive. Getting the information usually requires expensive hardware (USB pro v2, Probe 3, Xk3y Gecko etc). Please don't order this device if you do not have the ability to extract the key. Newer slim drives are so well made by MicroSoft that no one can figure out how to get the key from the drive. Luckily there exist another hacked that we can do to get the key from the motherboard, please read about it under the compatibility table below.
If you would like us to install it for you (If you are in Australia) please select the correct option in the drop down box above. If we have modfed your xbox before, please email us to see if we have a copy of your firwmare so we can email you the files so you can complete the install yourself.
Which 360 Consoles are compatible at launch?
Compatibility will continue to grow, and Microsoft will continue to make more unmoddable DVD drives until the console is discontinued. . The 1175 drive was considered unmoddable for a very long time. This drive has been worked on for over a year, and the smartest guys still cannot figure out how to get the the drive key out, luckily, the motherboard also has the key, and if RGH is possible it can be extracted from there (not noob friendly!)
RGH-able Slim console: All hardware models at the moment are compatible! However the dashbaord version right now needs to be on 2.0.16767 or below!
Advantages / Disadvantages
Considering the other solution is to flash your DVD drive.
- Cheaper in the long run, due to the fact that you never have to burn any media.
- Upgradable WITHOUT opening the console, the updates are via USB which means there is no need to consistently get your xbox reflashed by professionals.
- Features like a on screen menu AND web control panel will allow you to change games without getting up off your lazy ass ;)
- No or Less wear and tear on your DVD drives. Everyone that has had a 360 for a while knows that 360 DVD drives aren't the best, and maybe people and up getting faulty lasers after a couple of years. Drive replacements cost about $100. This device will ensure that having a faulty drive is pretty much impossible because....you aren't using it anymore!
- An alternative to c4eva....For a LONG time c4eva has an a fantastic job at making firmwares for flashing DVD drives. The only problem is that the market is very much reliant on his work. Future DVD drives may get hacked by x360key team before c4eva. Also on November 17th 2011 Microsoft started a new protection that made a LOT of new games not work. It took the xk3y team 1.5 days to fix the issue, and 1 more day to make the firmware public for ALL drives. C4eva took about 47 days to release the fix for just 2 x DVD drive types. I.e. Support for the xk3y is easier and faster!
- The initial cost outlay, compared to drive flashing is more. Obviously buying a cheaper solution might be easier on the wallet, but it will need constant upkeep and you will need to keep pumping money into it. Flashing your DVD drive = $60, and then pay $30 no average twice a year, and $2~$3 every time I want to burn a disc, and maybe an iHAS drive for $$$ to burn 100% of the disc...do the math!
Features, out of the box
- User friendly: intuitive interface, no soldering required
- Compatible with all fat Xbox 360 models, and the slim models listed above.
- Supports most Xbox 360 and Xbox 1 games
- Supports most file systems, including NTFS, EXT2/3/4, and Mac OS X Extended
- High speed USB2 interface
- Stylish USB control pad for selecting games and controlling your x360key
- Powerful embedded Linux system running from Micro SD card (included)
- Linux firmware fully updatable from USB media
- FPGA fully updatable from USB media via built-in, in-system JTAG programming
- Recovery mode - it is always possible to recover from a bad flash
- No drive flashing or JTAG hack required
- AP25 protection emulation
- Web Control Panel (requires Wifi dongle which will be sold separately)
Comes with 1 year warranty on parts. Please note that we are not responsible for any damage the user causes from incorrect installation of the product, nor can we replace damaged goods under warranty that where not shipped to you in a damaged state.